Sunday, March 18, 2012

Time to Get Out Your Green Thumb!

It is that time of the year again to get your gardens started!!  If you are interested in planting lettuce, carrots, spinach and other cold weather plants, their planing time is now!  If you are interested in Tomatoes, beans, peas, corn, squash, or other warm weather plants, the time to plant them is just around the corner.  The last frost date is typically April 21-31 so I am aiming at getting my cold weather plants out this next week and starting my warm weather plants on May 1st. What a great way to celebrate May Day right?!!?

I grew up with my family having gardens, but this will be my first year doing one for myself.  I think it is going to be a trial and error year for our family!  I have decided to do 3 raised 4x4 beds.  We made 3 boxes using untreated wood and I have since then learned that it should be water sealed so our boxes will probably only last a year or two and then need to be replaced, but at least we aren't adding any bad chemicals from our wood.  I used a soil mix of compost, manure (my kids think it is funny and gross that I used cow poop), and some vermiculite because I have heard it is good for keeping the soil light and allowing the water to not get the soil bogged down.  I plan on planting the seeds tomorrow, but I do think that I will figure out what to do for a fence first because just today I saw 11 deer run behind our house. Very majestic and cool to see!

I have started seeds sprouting for my tomatoes and peppers. I figure if they don't work then I can buy plants at a future date, but I may as well try to get something going. So far I have 6 tomato plants, 5 jalopeno plants, and 2-3 bell pepper plants that have sprouted.  We had a little incident with little fingers so we may have lost a few items.  I don't think they will all survive so I planted extra.  I have them in a room that has decent sun light during the day and then I purchased a $2 gro light bulb for a bedside lamp that I turn on when it is cloudy.  I picked the bedroom because I can lock the door which is a necessity with little ones. So if you have little kids. . . you can still do tricks to get plants.

I will post some links here for anyone who is interested in seeing some of the things that I have seen.  If you grew something last year, do so again!  It will bring a smile to your face! If it didn't work, try again!  A pack of seeds is just $1.27-$2.00.

Click here for a list of classes offered through the University of Maryland Extension.  Many of them are free classes on gardening!
Click here for a great way of growing strawberries in a small area.
Click here for information about composting.  You can call the number on the website to get a free compost bin while supplies last. I have heard that they aren't the sturdiest.  There is also information on there about building your own out of old pallets. Since we have many in our back yard, that is what we are going to do.  It looks simple to build and should work great!
Click here for a great blog on square foot gardening
Click here for ideas on gardening in small places (imagine growing lettuce on a wall. . . cool idea!
Click here for more ideas for vertical and small space gardening.

There is tons of information out there! Don't be afraid to ask Mr. Google for advice in your gardening adventure!! And, don't be afraid to ask those around you who have been doing it forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment