Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Beginning a Food Storage

** Note**  If you haven't noticed, I love to use hyperlinks.  I have linked you to the websites mentioned for the following information sites on the areas that say here or the name of the company/site.  Just click on it and you will find TONS of information!  Happy Hunting!***
This looks like my parents food storage under their stairs!
If you are new to storing food, you will find that there are MANY options out there.  The church has many basic food necessities available to purchase and a few can even be mailed to your home.  You can click here for their recommendations and information on storing food.  I will try to get all of the information from the cannery (the place where you can pick up the food and have it canned) and from the stake about getting the mylar sealer etc.

If you would rather spend a lot of money upfront and just have a food storage, you can check out companies like emergency essentials, shelf reliance etc. . .   They have kits that have 1 year supply of food for one person for around $1400 that ist he basic 2000 calorie option.  the 1200 calorie option is $950.  (that quote is for emergency essentials because I have their order form right here, but most are similar.)  I have used emergency essentials only to buy buckets for my wheat thus far so I can't tell you how the food is.  Their prices for basic items are much more than that of the church so if you are looking for wheat, flour, sugar, oats etc, I would get that at the cannery.  I do have a friend who does shelf reliance and she liked it because she could put what she wanted on-line figure out a monthly budget and then it is sent to her home etc, and she determines how much to spend each month.

Another few websites that are great resources.

Safely Gathered In-  This is a blog that I have followed in the past.  If you follow their guidance, in one year you will have a year supply of food (If I remember it is the basics.. One month grains, one month lentils etc.They don't say go out and buy ketchup or alfredo or anything), a 72 hour kit, and a car kit.  They have a LOT of good information including recipes, how to make a 3 month supply of food etc.  It is written by some members of the church in the Utah area I believe.  Fun read.

All About Foods-  A friend recently sent me to this site. I haven't studied it too much, but it seems to be similar.  They don't help you get your storage as above, but they help you to know how to can, preserve, cook with etc.  They have some great recipes it seems as well.

Wendy Dewitt Food Storage Program- This is the program that I'm looking into doing at this time. I think this is what is going to work for my family because I have a picky husband who hears the words dry milk and he wants to retch. Or if I tell him that we wont eat meat he says he'd rather die.  Her system has you gather the things you like so that you can make 7-14 of your own dinner and breakfast recipes.  She also focuses on canning meats and such to be used and I like that idea.  If you would like to watch her video click here.  She is the area canning expert for Northern Arizona and Southern Utah. I have actually e-mailed her once and received a quick reply.

Those are the sites I would start looking at if you are new to collecting food or if you are looking for a different method.  Like I have said, I'm not an expert, but I'm learning just like you, and together we can figure everything out and have a storage that will support our families in times of need!  If you have any questions please fire them my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment