Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Are We Prepared?


When my family moves, my first question is, what type of weather do we have and what do we need to have in order to be prepared.  In the past year, we have had a hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flooding, thunderstorms etc.  So, if you are going to live in Maryland I guess you just need to be prepared for it all!

What are your plans?  Have you made them yet?  If there is flooding and you have to evacuate to higher ground do you have somewhere you are prepared to go? Do you live in a area where you would need to evacuate at the mere threat of a flood?  Do you live on high grounds and can give place to others?  Just some things to think about.

Do you have your 72 hour kit?  Is it mobile if you have to evacuate at the drop of a hat?  I have always had mine spread throughout my house because typically we aren't in places that would have to evacuate.  I think it is about time that I get my stuff in good order.

Don't wait until the disaster hits before getting prepared. Last year with the threat of the hurricane we thought it would be a smart idea to get batteries and a generator. . . lo and behold, the stores were ALL OUT!  So don't wait. . . BE PREPARED!

We have been in places where public water has been contaminated due to flooding and people have been without it for days.  Something that we do is we will fill up a bathtub and then lock the door so that our kids can't get in the room.  That way if something happens and there is no water, we have water that will last for a few days (Our purpose in doing this is for non-drinking water i.e. to allow our toilets to flush, wash things etc.)

Hurricane Season in MD is 1 June until 30 November.  Think about how that affects those of us in Elkridge, Columbia, and Ellicott City.  Heavy winds, flooding, heavy rain fall. . . (If I forgot something feel free to correct me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment