Sunday, June 3, 2012

Save a Buck and Make it Yourself

A picture of a friend's supply

Here are some more recipes for household cleaners!  I have used the dishwasher detergent and it works just as well as the cascade packets that I was using.  A few friends of mine use all of these, and I will start once I run out of the things I already use.  So. . . here you go!  Try it or don't. It's up to you!

I was able to buy some of the items at the commissary but all of them are available at Walmart and I think the costs are comparable at both places.  I've rounded up the prices that I found at the commissary.

Dishwasher Detergent

1- 4 lb box Borax (approx $3.50)
1- 3 lb 7 oz box Arm & Hammer super washing soda (approx $2.50)
1/3 c citric acid (found in canning section) ($3.24 at walmart probably has 1 cup in it)
3 c Epsom Salt (approx $3.50)  (This is for a large box that has about 6 cups in it)
Total- $12.74  (And you would have enough citric acid and Epson left for another batch).

**I made this one and it makes about 20 cups of powder.  You use 1 Tbs. per load.  I figure that if I run my dishwasher every day then it will last me for 320 loads or for almost an entire year.  **
**Works best with a rinse aid (Jet dry, Lemirinse, or vinegar)**

Laundry Soap

1- 4 lb box Borax (approx $3.50)
1- 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (Approx $2.00)
1- 55 oz (3lb 7oz) Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (Approx $2.50)
3.5 lb oxyclean (2- small containers) (I have a large box so not sure on the cost it wasn't much)
3- bars fels naptha soap or pink zote soap (grated with food processer or cheese grater) ($.97 each at Walmart)
Total- $11 + cost of oxyclean

**Use 2 Tbs per load in top load machines and 1 Tbs per load for HE front load washers.  I have heard that in an HE washer a single batch will last about a year.

Fabric Softener

3 c boiling water (Free)
1- 15-16 oz bottle cheap sauve conditioner (I'm assuming other brands will work as well) (approx $1.50)
3 c vinegar (I buy mine in bulk and it isn't much)
Total- Approx $5-$7 for a triple batch

**A triple batch will fill the Sam's/Costco size bottle.  You can pick the scent of conditioner to match the smell you want for your clothes. You will NOT smell the vinegar once the clothes are washed.

There you go!  As I said, I've only tried the dishwasher soap so far, but the friends I got the recipes from are trustworthy people so I'll give the others a try as I run out of what I have!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment