Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Things to Do With Wheat

I stand humbly corrected over my post last week. There is a LOT that you can do with wheat!  Sister Grange shared the following link with me and if you are looking for ways to use your wheat, check it out!

From Sister Grange:

There are many uses for wheat besides making it into flour. You don't even need a wheat grinder to use wheat in many ways.  Best way is to cook the wheat berries (aka the whole grain) soak for about 24 hours, then give them a cook in the crock pot.  You can package the cooked wheat berries into ziploc bags- 1-2 cup portions that you can take out of the freezer and add to recipes as needed.   Use cooked wheat just like you would rice!


This recipe is for basic cooked wheat- only difference I add is to soak the wheat berries, drain, and let them *just* start sprouting- this makes them way more nutritious and "wakes" the  wheat up releasing many more nutrients.

I tried the following recipe, and my hubby even liked it.  He said "This is pretty good, a little too chewy, but good."  If you know my hubby, he is REALLy picky so that is impressive. Next time I'll cook them longer and see if that works better for his palate.  The kids call cooked wheat my bugs. 

Follow this link to the recipe:  Wheat Berry & Vegetable Salad.  I liked it better if I put a little bit of salad dressing on it other than the dressing that it called for.  I'm not much of an oil and vinegar dressing person so I flavored it up with Ranch or Asian dressing and it just gave it that extra yum flavor.  

As I find more recipes that are good with wheat, I'll share them!

No comments:

Post a Comment